Thursday 8 May 2014


The "Wanderer" returns...

Hi folks, well I was back down south in Wakefield for Easter and I managed to get another year's membership to Wakefield Angling Club.
This gave me access to fish the nearby canal and I spent two or three days fishing it mainly with dropshot techniques. I ended up having some great sport with perch up to 1 1/4 lbs, I also had 10 mini pike and a common bream weighing 4lb! I was dropshotting with various lures but the top three were:
3" tail section of Gulp Sandworm in natural colour
3" Fish Arrow Flash J split tail
2.5" Evergreen C4 shrimp
I knew there were some good bream present in the canal but I didn't think I had much chance of catching one on a lure, I was secretly hoping for a chub though. It was the thought of various coarse species that made me stick with the gulp sandworm as I have had some great coarse fish on it before. What I found interesting about the bream was that it struck just after a barge had gone past and the ship's passage had really kicked up a big cloud of sediment. I was working my lure slowly through the muddy water when I was walloped by a fish, which nearly wrenched the rod out of my hand such was the ferocity of the take.
I was sure it was a pike as it hit so hard, then tore off up the canal on a blistering run. When the fish breached the surface I was shocked to see a large and feisty bream which fought hard all the way to the bank. I have caught bream before with carp gear but never on LRF tackle and it really was excellent sport. I weighed the fish which came in at 4lbs a new PB as well as being my first lure caught bream.
The perch fishing was wonderfully consistent and although I only manged a couple of fish above 1lb it was really fun fishing.
I will be back for a chub later in the year I hope!

Here are a few pics from the sessions

Mini Pike were present...
And they liked Gulp sandworm...
Who ate all the pies?...
The fattest perch of the trip...
Evergreen C4 shrimp at work...
A nice size for a surprise...
The Bream took Gulp! Sandworm in natural colour...
As did the biggest perch of the trip...
Evergreen C4 shrimps were utterly devoured...
As were dropshotted Ecogear Aqua Bream Prawns...
They loved 3" Fish Arrow Flash J split tails too...
The weirdest catch goes to this swan mussel, I must have dropped my weight right into its shell, which promptly closed onto my weight!


I made a short film while I was there too and this time I had no problems with the editing software!




Tackle used -
Rod: GraphiteLeader Corto EX 7'9" 0.5-8gram Tubular tipped.
Reel: Shimano Technium 3000
Line: Pontoon Exteer braid PE. 1
Leader: 6lb Greylon Fluorocarbon
Thanks for watching!
Tight Lines
Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment